This recipe for rødkål is from my Danish mother in law. Of all the variations I’ve tried, I think this is the absolute best. And it’s super easy too!
- 6-700 g red cabbage, shredded (1/2 large)
- 50 g rendered pork fat, or butter
- 100 ml water
- 80 ml balsamic vinegar
- 50 g sugar
- 1/4 tsp caraway seeds
- 15 g fine sea salt
- 50 g crushed walnuts
- 50 g Dried figs, coarsely chopped
- Add all ingredients except figs and nuts.
- Simmer under lid for 15 minutes.
- Remove lid and evaporate almost all liquid.
- Add walnuts and figs, stir well, and heat through.