A real Norwegian…err…Danish….err….Swedish…I should probably say Scandinavian Christmas classic. We simply love this little fish, and Sennepsild is one of the most classic variations. Here’s how to make it!
- 4 salt pickled herring fillets
- 100 ml sour cream, or crème fraiche
- 100 ml mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp whole grain mustard
- 1/2 finely chopped shallots
- 20 ml Norwegian barrel aged aquavit (optional)
Cut the fillets into 2-3 cm wide strips. Mix the remaining ingredients in a bowl. Mix the herring with the dressing. Let sit overnight in the fridge to marinate.
Keeps for several weeks.